KEC 1972 - 1974
Kaveri Founded in 1972
Around 1972, Kaveri Kannada Association of the Washington DC Metro area was founded by Smt. Vimala Channabasappa along with few other Kannadiga friends.
|Smt. Vimala Channabasappa
President of Kaveri, 1972-1974
Born in Dharwad, Karnataka, India, 1932. Parents, Smt Shantadevi and Justice Siddheshwarswami Malimath. Married to Dr. Kenkere C. Channabasappa. Sons Deepak Kenkeremath and Nandan Kenkeremath. Grandsons Chethan, Vikram, Anil and Sean. B.A. Karnatak University. M.S. Illinois Institute of Technology. Accomplished dancer in Kathak, Kathakali, Manipuri, Bharata Natyam styles. Winner of many dance trophies. Singer, poet, artist.
Poems in Kannada, English, Sanskrit, Hindi and Spanish. Writes her own lyrics, sets tunes and sings the songs. Has released 8 audio-cassettes, and 3 CDs in Kannada, English and Hindi. Author of 11 books. "Ratnamma Hegde prize" by Karnataka Vidya Vardhaka Sangha, Dharawad, for her book "Malligi Aralyava".
Founder and first president of "Kaveri" Kannada Association, 1972. Founder and first president of "Basava Samiti" Washington D.C., 1975. Fonder and Director of AAUW (American Association of University Women) Language Bank, Washington D.C. metropolitan area, 1976. Founding member of Sri Siva Vishnu Temple, Lanham, MD. Donations to "Kaveri", VSNA, Sri Siva Vishnu Temple, Maheshwari School for the blind; Jolada Rashi Doddanagouda Smaraka Nidhi; Dattatraya Garuda Sangeetha Shala; Sheshadri Gawai Shashtyabdhi.etc.
"Woman of the year" award, Alexandria Council for Women, 1976. "Distinguished Kannadiga of North America" award, Toronto, Canada 1987. "Paul Revere Silver Bowl" by Alexandria AAUW, 1982. Honored by All India Veerashaiva Mahasabha Conference, Belgaum, 1992, Kadali Mahila Vedike, Mysore, 2000; Hombale Prathibha Ranga, 2001; Upasana, Bangalore, 2001: Kaveri, 2002, President of Kaveri Sahitya Sammelana 2004.
Accomplishments of Kaveri in 1972-1974:
- i. Kaveri Kannada Association formed.
- ii. Kaveri Constitution written.
- iii. Kaveri approved as Tax Exempt Cultural organization by IRS.
- iv. Dassara, Deepavali, Sankranti, Yugadi, Vasanthotsava etc.
- v. Group folk songs at the Indian Embassy, on August 15th.
- vi. Rangoli and art exhibition by Kaveri members.
- vii. Music by famed violinist L.Shankar - money collected donated to Bengal famine fund.
- viii. Recording tapes sent to Kannada Sahitya Parishat, for taping kannada lessons.
- ix. Kirtane by Santa Keashavadas.
- x. Group dance & background music by Kaveri ladies, at the India Independence Day in D.C
Kaveri Committee Members for 1972 - 1974
|Smt Vimala Channabasappa||President|
|Sri Praphulla Chandra||Vice President|
|Sri B.S. Shankaranarayana||Secretary|
|Sri D.N. Rajasekhar||Joint Secretary|
|Sri S. Krishnamurthy||Treasurer|
|Smt Nirmala Rao||Member|
|Sri C. Sonnegowda||Member|
|Smt Bhagya Rangachar||Member|
|Sri V. A. Krishnamurthy||Member|
|Smt Malini Madhav||Member|
|Smt Bharathi Shetty||Member|
|Smt Indira Subramania||Member|